This meal was a team effort! My beau handled the steak outside on the grill while I prepared the topping. I found this grass-fed strip steak in the freezer section at Trader Joe's last week. What a great find! The meat was so flavorful on its own and we only seasoned it with salt and pepper.
I served the steak with white rice. You may be a bit surprised by this, but I've read that a little white rice once in a while is pretty harmless. More on why I ate the rice below...
Here's an update on my 21DSD
I hit a pretty bad wall over the past couple days. It wasn't the sugar-craving type of feeling and I was definitely unwell. I did a little reading and I think I figured out what was going on. The long and short of it was that I was at work and I wasn't well so I decided to go off the 21DSD and take care of myself. The rice was part of that plan and I'm feeling a lot better today.
I don't think I'm going to go fully back on the detox for now. I did however experience some positive results from the 10 days I completed. I fully plan to try the 21 day plan again sometime soon, too.
- I was able to give up a gum habit and a dark chocolate habit, as well as reduce my fruit intake (I was eating A LOT and just because it's Paleo doesn't mean I should overindulge).
- I learned that I don't need sweet foods nearly as much as I previously thought.
- I learned how to get through a day without sugar for probably the first time ever.
Grass-Fed Strip Steak topped with Shallots and Cherry Tomatoes
- Heat the grill over high heat, season steak with sea salt & pepper, sear each side for 1 minute 2x to make the grill marks
- Turn sear off (if your grill has that feature) and let cook over med-high to high direct heat until medium doneness (~8 minutes for this particular piece) - we use these to gauge doneness
- To cook the shallots (or onions) and cherry tomatoes, heat frying pan over medium heat
- Add ~1 tablespoon expeller pressed coconut oil (doesn't taste like coconut)
- Add 2 chopped shallots and saute for a few minutes
- Add ~1 tsp minced garlic, 1 package chopped cherry tomatoes and sprinkle in some sea salt and pepper
- Turn heat to low and continue to cook until soft, adding more coconut oil or grass-fed butter as needed
- Finish with ~1 tablespoon grass-fed butter to make it a little saucy.
The steak and the topping cooked in exactly the same amount of time. Dinner was ready is less than 20 minutes.
Look at this beauty!
Linking to: Monday Mania